Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pattern


A like minded spirit over at the Tinfoil Hat society has written a fantastic piece on how fractal geometry is changing our paradigm of understanding;

"Mandelbrot brought back the sense of the whole, the old time Pagan sensibility that the part is more than a piece of the whole, even if you don’t understand quite how, and that what affects one part affects the whole in ways you probably won’t understand for quite a while. It reminds us that we are a part of the whole, and reflect the whole in our being, from cell up to organism."
Read the complete entry here:

http://thetinfoilhatsociety.com/2010/10/18/as-above-so-below/


I've loved fractals for a long time. Not just because they're fun to look at, but because I sense they are an important metaphor for understanding how this amazing experience called life is actually structured.
When I watched a PBS special on fractals, some 15 years ago now, a seed crystal of awareness started growing within my subconscious.
I started to learn more about 'sacred geometry', Fibonacci spirals, the golden mean.
I found myself fascinated by the idea that there are mathematical formulas to describe erosion patterns, or the self organizing principle of a sunflower.
The patterns within patterns, always repeating but never exactly the same, seem descriptive of the processes of life itself.

Perhaps there is a Grand Pattern, which always exists yet we are necessarily unable to perceive with our limited human senses. If we did fully perceive it, we wouldn't BE human.

We would just be the Pattern.

The point of our human existence, I reasoned, was for the Pattern to perceive itself.

If I am the pattern, and the pattern is me, everything I do or think or feel sends ripples of change out into the larger pattern.

That is the Next Iteration.

It is happening NOW.

This is why taking ultimate personal responsibility for my own life is so critically important.
If I want a future that includes a fruitful, balanced ecosystem I need to make personal choices that reflect and support that.

If I want a future filled with love and respect and understanding, I need to start loving and respecting all of my fellow beings, be they human or non-human.

It is vital that I make these choices with my whole Being and intent, and not to just "buy green" or drive a hybrid car so I can feel less guilty about all of the other destructive choices I am making.

Any difficult situations that arise in my life have something to teach me. Challenging circumstances when interacting with other humans invite me to take a closer look within myself for areas that need attention.

Real change starts from within.

We must live ourselves into the future we seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment